For Tablet PCs and Smartphones Also!
The PDF Xpansion SDK provides a set of APIs that you can use to create high-performance PDF/XPS-able applications and/or software solutions. It gives you wide possibilities to create and edit PDF, PDF/A or XPS documents, display and print them, convert between these two formats, export or/and import to/from other file formats and other potential.
We present a completely new generation of the PDF Xpansion SDK – version 10. It allows you to use PDF functionality in Windows desktop (PC) applications as well as in your Windows Store / Windows Phone Store apps.
General Information about the PDF Xpansion SDK
- Available ways/import sources to create pages of PDF documents: GDI metafile (Enhanced) from object (HENHMETAFILE) or file, GDI+ metafile (Enhanced) from object (Gdiplus::Metafile) or file, XPS or OXPS documents (including links, bookmarks, etc.), SVG files (scalable vector graphics), raster images (JPEG, PNG, TIFF, GIF, BMP, etc.), import and layout text, build page content as a hierarchical structure of content objects (text, image and vector items)
- Highlight form fields in PDF viewer
- Quick zoom in viewer
- Dynamic notes in viewer
- Viewer state snapshots
- Media player API
- Event models in documents & form fields (messages)
- Custom crypto possibility in PDF (custom encryption): you may offer a custom-made encryption method in your applications
- Generation of certificates for PDF signing
- ZUGFRD support: you may use this format to support electronic invoicing and billing in connection with PDF files
This generation of the SDK provides four API sets with similar structure and functionality:
- C++ compatible API for Windows Desktop Applications and Server Solutions
- .NET compatible API, including PDF viewer as WinForms and WPF controls
- Windows RT compatible API for Windows Store Applications, including PDF viewer control
- Windows Phone 8 compatible API for Windows Phone Applications, including PDF viewer control
Processor architecture: x86, x64 and ARM
See also System requirements.
The PDF Xpansion SDK functionality consists of three main parts:
- PDF functionality: creating and processing of PDF documents. Covert PDF documents from other formats, open, save, encode, digitally sign PDF documents. Manage document pages, create and edit annotations, convert, merge and split files, create and process forms and much more. An especially important functionality: the creation of new documents and editing existing ones with the PDF editor. PDF/A-1, -2, -3 are supported as well.
- XPS functionality: processing of XPS documents. For the XPS format, there are many functions available als well: first of all, the conversion of XPS to PDF and vice versa. You can also change the document structure, render pages and much more.
- Viewer functionality: The viewer is a window or control (depending the development platform) that displays PDF, XPS or other documents and processes for end user activity (touchscreen, mouse and keyboard input). The viewer supports different layouts of displayed document, free zooming and several fit modes. Interactive tools for annotations and forms processing are available as well.
The PDF Xpansion SDK 10 enables you to implement all current PDF/A standards (1, 2 and 3) and all conformity levels (a,b, u) into your applications. In contrast to PDF/A-1, files that comply with the PDF/A-2 standard may use JPG2000 compression, transparencies and layers. And they are allowed to have PDF/A files embedded. On the other hand, the PDF/A-3 standard allows embedding files of any type, not just PDF/A files. This liberalization of the standard has several implications: for example, you may now enable the users of document archiving and DMS solutions to embed the source documents into the PDF/A archive files. PDF/A-3 files may be used to carry XML files which include the billing data for e-invoicing solutions. In this way, the PDF/A-3 file holds both a visual representation of the invoice (in the PDF part of the file), and a part that may be read and processed directly by e-billing/e-invoicing applications.
Number of supported languages: 60
In order to test the performance and functions of the PDF Xpansion SDK, you can download the current version of the SDK (trial license). This license allows the use of all SDK functions, but places a digital demo watermark on the document pages. Examples are offering u the opportunity to access into the programm. Use the samples given in the SDK for a quick start or read the “Getting Started” chapter in the PDF Xpansion SDK Reference.
Please download the PDF Xpansion SDK Guide for more information about functionality, properties, license models and prices. Read more about the programming details in the programming reference included in the trial version .
Licensing Models, Prices
The prices for the functions of the PDF Xpansion SDK that you need can also be seen in SDK Guide. Familiarize yourself with the types of licenses and license conditions. Describe your tasks as detailed as possible and we draw up a suitable SDK package for you. We create this package offer for free – there are no costs or obligations for you.
We know the strength of our SDK in detail, for sure. But what do our customers say about it?
“As makers of a high quality document management software, we needed a PDF and PDF/A capable printer driver that also works on 64-bit platforms. In addition, we also wanted the option to digitally sign PDF documents. This brought us to the Soft Xpansions Toolkit. Due to the toolkit’s flexibility, the flawless results during testing, and a license model that perfectly fits us as a software vendor company, the decision for Soft Xpansion was easy. In addition, the quick, and competent technical support is highly appreciated, making Soft Xpansion a very reliable partner.”
Stephan Barth, Chief Technology Officer at Therefore Corporation GmbH
PDF Xpansion Reader
Instead of testing the PDF Xpansion SDK, you can try our application PDF Xpansion Reader for Windows RT/tablet PCs and Windows Phone first. It is available in the Windows Store and the Windows Phone Store respectively. Up to now, we can look back on more than 100,000 downloads for these two apps. They have been developed completely with the PDF Xpansion SDK, Version 10. For Windows Desktop versions, have a look at our PDF freeware and Perfect PDF product family.